Wednesday 29 May 2013

Quantitative vs Qualitatative

Whilst undertaking my research into how music genres dictate the artistic style of the album artwork and promotional material I had to decided what the best kind of date for me to gather. From the primary and secondary research I had to decided whether to collect Quantitative data or Qualitative data. Both have there advantages and disadvantages but to me the obvious choice to help me take something from the research was to use Qualitative Data. As im looking at people opinions when it comes to music genre rather than data that can me measured by numbers, I felt quantitative data was just not the way to go as I cannot use it in order to gain an understanding of underlying reasons and motivations of an audience.

During this project I need to uncover thoughts and opinions of people when they think of certain genres of music. I can then easily use the data collected to make examples of artwork that live up to the expectations of the audiences I have tested on.

However in using qualitative data, the findings will not be conclusive and I would not be able to generalise the information obtained, but it will help me to understand what I need to do for future decision making when it comes to designing some examples of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment