Monday 27 May 2013

A little reminder of what I'm doing, for you and for me



Working on the album is one of the biggest responsibilities I have been given as a grapghic designer. away from the actual look of the album, other aspects also have to be considered too such as distribution, barcodes so that can be commercially sold and the rights to the music. The album will be released in Germany and Austria before it is in the UK due to a deal that has been signed between the band and an overseas agent. The albums will be produced by the distributor at no expense to the band but will take a percentage of the profits. The German and Austrian release however will be a different design to the UK release.  The look of the album is going to move away from the style of the previous two EPs and the return of the celtic artwork will feature to in keep with the style of the band and not confuse people with the punk style that have been used before. After starting to design the album I decided to leave the cover till last as it would be easier for me to come up with a design for the cover after I’ve designed the inside of the album as I would then have a house style to keep to. 


The album will all be printed in black and white and made to look old so that it reflects the roots of the band, the roots being working class. The album features songs about the miners’ strike and other political issues. The booklet features pictures of the band as well as old photographs of riots and picket lines from the 80s. The most costly part of producing the album is the barcodes, these are essential if the album is to be sold commercially. The recording and design involved when making the album can be done quite cheaply depending on what deals can be done with people, for example the producer Gavin Monagham produced the tracks at a reduced rate as a favour to the band.



As work on the album designs continue I decided to write the above text to remind myself of what I'm actually doing and what I need to keep at the back of my mind when producing the artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment