Tuesday 26 November 2013

Safe to continue?

Looking back on the progress of this project and graphic design concept I am working on I begin to reflect on whether the ideas are actually starting to come together and look like a real and potentially successful project.

I think that the concept I am working on is a risky one for several reasons, the first of which is the fact that I have never approached the design of a poster promoting live music in this way before. I have usually put more time and effort into the layout and colour schemes often using very simple images that usually relate to certain bands or a specific genre. However as I am approaching this work as sort of genre-less piece there are no specific images I could use, I am also not promoting a certain band or artist consequently there is nothing from press packs that I could use to dictate certain aspects of the design. This has however forced me to think more about audience. I am targeting 16-24 year olds who do not necessarily know anything about live music in Nottingham, so including an image of the town hall was a necessary design solution as it would be instantly recognisable. I do not believe I could use images linked with smaller venues as it would not be instantly recognisable. it is my aim that the poster that I am designing would influence these people to look further into the music scenes.

Which brings me onto another risk with this project concept. Is it risky to design a poster promoting live music which has little, if any of the usual conventions that most gig posters have? I think this is a risk however it frees the poster up to be more of a piece of artwork rather than a gig poster with purpose. This makes me think more about where these designs would be placed in the market. My idea would be to put the posters up in all areas of Nottingham that host live music events of any kind, in my opinion this would show an audience that all the venues and artists around the city are linked by a common love of music, consequently promoting the fact that the music scene is wide and varied and is supported my all people involved. This could be compared with things used by charities such as the poppy appeal, everybody where a poppy to show there respect. the posters I am designing would show an appreciation of live music around Nottingham. By using the design idea of using two posters to get across a message of one, people will notice which posters are used in each location, the 'Daytime' design and the 'Night-time' design and as a result make a link between the places they are used within the market.

I have to think that if this project was for a large client with alot of backing, would they go for risky design solutions like this? or stick to the norms? Something to think about later....

No comments:

Post a Comment